Changes to the Backpacker Tax
From 1 January 2017, tax rates will change for working holiday makers who are in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa. These rates are known as working holiday maker tax rates.
What does this mean for you?
If you employ a working holiday maker in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa:
* From 1 January 2017, you should withhold 15% from every dollar earned up to $37,000 with foreign resident tax rates applying from $37,001.
* You must register with us by 31 January 2017 to withhold at the working holiday maker tax rate.
* If you already employ working holiday makers you will need to issue two payment summaries (with different rates) this year – one for the period to 31 December 2016 and a second for any period from 1 January 2017.
* If you don’t register, you will need to withhold at the foreign resident tax rate of 32.5%
* Penalties may apply if you employ holiday makers but don't register.
For more information view the ATO website: https://www.ato.gov.au/newsroom/smallbusiness/employers/changes-to-the–backpacker-tax-/