December 2016

Changes to the Backpacker Tax

From 1 January 2017, tax rates will change for working holiday makers who are in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa. These rates are known as working holiday maker tax rates.

What does this mean for you?

If you employ a working holiday maker in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa:

* From 1 January 2017, you should withhold 15% from every dollar earned up to $37,000 with foreign resident tax rates applying from $37,001.

* You must register with us by 31 January 2017 to withhold at the working holiday maker tax rate.

* If you already employ working holiday makers you will need to issue two payment summaries (with different rates) this year – one for the period to 31 December 2016 and a second for any period from 1 January 2017.

* If you don’t register, you will need to withhold at the foreign resident tax rate of 32.5%

* Penalties may apply if you employ holiday makers but don't register.

For more information view the ATO website: https://www.ato.gov.au/newsroom/smallbusiness/employers/changes-to-the–backpacker-tax-/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


18 − fourteen =